Monday, May 17, 2010

Peas and Beans




































I decided to try growing some things from seed this year, so bought snap peas and pole beans, as well as various flowers.  I researched the seed companies at the local garden store, to find one NOT owned by Monsanto.  Fortunately, The Chas C. Hart Seed company, to the best of my knowledge is not, and they're local - out of CT!  Above, the pole beans just starting to emerge, and the peas having been transplanted to the ground, with twine around them for extra support - just call it a pea bra.  Then below, the twine goes up what I'm calling the "Bean Tree," my homage to Barbara Kingsolver.  I had been waiting to find something to make the bean support, and one day while walking to subway I saw a fallen branch, perfect!  I cut the branch into pieces, and brought them back via skateboard.  The smaller branches have served as the support for the peas in various places in the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment